Lorazepam HF 2.5mg (Hemopharm)
Lorazepam is used in the short-term treatment (2-4) weeks in adults for symptomatic alleviation of severe anxiety that is incapacitating or causes the person to experience intolerable distress, whether it occurs on its own or in conjunction with insomnia or a brief psychometric, organic or psychotic disease.
It is also used prior to performing general surgery and dentistry. Its use is avoided for a longer duration and it’s not used for mild insomnia or for children’s anxiety.
Lorazepam HF 2.5 mg (sold under brand name Ativan)
A popular prescription drug called Ativan (Lorazepam) is referred to as a sedative, hypnotic or anti-anxiety drug. Ativan is used to treat the symptoms of anxiety, sleeplessness and status epilepticus. You should not take Ativan if you have a history of an adverse reaction to any benzodiazepine or have narrow-angle glaucoma.
How Lorazepam HF works?
Gamma amino butyric acid receptors are neurotransmitters in the brain that play a role in controlling anxiety, relaxation and sleep. Lorazepam HF slows down the central nervous system by acting on these receptors. This has the effect of soothing and relaxing the brain by reducing excessive anxiety and excitement.
Ativan also lessens the severity of anxiety and panic attacks by lowering the CNS. Ativan has a rapid onset of action, making it a useful treatment for short-term management of panic symptoms. The effects of the medicine continue for a few hours and start to take effect rather quickly.
Lorazepam 2.5mg Hemofarm uses
- Short-term management of anxiety disorders
- Pre-surgical medication was taken the night before surgery.
- Used for treatment of prolonged seizures through the injectable form
- It May be used off-label for some other indications such as lower back pain
Lorazepam 2.5mg / Ativan Recommended dosage
Usual Adult dose for anxiety:
2-3 mg /day in 2-3 divided doses.
Usual Geriatric dose for anxiety :
1-2 mg / day given in 1-2 divided doses.
Usual Paediatric dose for anxiety :
12 years or older:
2-3 mg / day in 2-3 divided doses.
Hemofarm Lorazepam 2.5 mg dose for sleep
For insomnia due to anxiety or transient situational stress, a single dose of 2-4 mg is administered orally usually at bedtime.
What are the Side Effects of Lorazepam HF 2.5 mg ?
- The most repeatedly reported side effects are drowsiness, tiredness or dizziness. Any one of these side effects could reduce a person’s ability to react quickly, make it harder for them to drive or operate machinery, or make them more likely to fall. It is best to avoid alcohol because it may intensify these symptoms.
- There have also been reports of amnesia, forgetfulness, unsteadiness, visual issues, sexual dysfunction, nausea and a number of other side effects.
- May infrequently result in respiratory depression. The risk increases with Higher doses of Lorazepam hf 2.5mg, in individuals with pre-existing respiratory issues or when it is used with other drugs that can cause respiratory depression such as opioids.
- It could also increase the risk of suicidal thoughts, and monitor for worsening mood.
- Withdrawal symptoms such as tremors or insomnia may occur with abrupt discontinuation, and taper off slowly with doctor supervision.
Is 0.5 mg of Lorazepam a low dose?
It usually depends on the doctor directions and patient’s medical conditions. If the advised dose is higher than 0.5 mg than it will be considered a low dose and will have to make up for the remaining dose.
Maximum dose of Ativan in 24 hours
The maximum dose of Ativan in 24 hours is 10 mg. This dose is usually administered to anxiety patients. The maximum dose is typically divided into two or three doses. For example, 2mg can be taken in the morning, 2 mg in the afternoon and 6 mg at bedtime.
Is 2.5 mg of Lorazepam high?
It depends on the patient medical condition and prescription of the doctor. If the prescribed dose is lower than 2.5 mg than 2.5 mg dose is high. Consult your doctor if you experience unusual symptoms.
What is considered a ‘normal dose’ of Ativan?
The “normal” (usual) dosage of Ativan is 2 milligrams (mg) to 6 mg total, divided into two or three doses. For example, to treat anxiety, you may take Ativan tablets at a dosage of 2 mg twice per day, for a total daily dosage of 4 mg.